What's the Kiva Cup? The Kiva Cup is a series of competitions where Kiva Lending Teams will be given a specific goal and a defined time to achieve it. Competitions will be announced quickly, so teams will have to hustle to meet the goal.
Some competitions will be easier for bigger teams; some will be easier for smaller teams. For some, it won't matter at all. We'll be rotating contests to make sure everyone has a shot at winning.
Now to the details of the first competition:
Kiva Cup Challenge: New Lenders
For the kickoff Kiva Cup competition, we're keeping it simple. To win, your team needs to get the most new lenders to join and make a loan by 11:59 PM PDT on July 4, 2011. The contest begins at 12:01 AM PDT June 21st.
What's a new lender? A new lender is someone who has never made a loan on Kiva before. They might have never signed up, or they might have signed up and never made a loan. Here's what to do:
1. Invite friends to join your team using the "Recruit Friends" button on your team's page.
2. Remind your friends.
3. When your friend comes to make a loan, tell her to make sure that she counts the loan towards your lending team before checking out!
4. Ask your friend to invite her friends, and help put your team in the lead.
The Fine Print
- A new lender is someone who has never made a loan on Kiva before.
- A new lender must join your team and make a loan attributed to your team in order to be counted. This is easier than it sounds, we promise.
- Lending teams must have been in existence at 9:00 AM PDT on June 20, 2011 to qualify. No cheating by creating new teams.
- The team with the highest number of new lenders at the end of the competition will be declared the winner. There is no prize of any value associated with winning -- but who can put a price on eternal glory?
- The competition begins at 12:01 AM PDT, June 21, 2011, and ends at 11:59PM PDT on July 4, 2011. New lenders joining outside that time period will not be counted.
- You don't yet have the functionality to see how well your team is doing, but don't worry. We'll be posting periodic score updates on the blog, so keep your eyes peeled.
- We like that you're competitive, but this is just a game. Our decisions will be final. Enjoy yourselves and have fun!