Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Loans approaching expiration

Hi everyone,

First, my name is Dan and I’m a volunteer at Kiva. Over the past two months, I’ve been helping analyze a number of different things from lender behavior to loan and portfolio information.

On Monday’s community call, we discussed the large number of loans which were approaching their expiration date. Out of curiosity, I ran some quick numbers to take a look at loan funding behavior over time (see the slides below).

Overall,

  • More loans are approaching expiration than we have previously seen as of the 29th of September
  • Loans are funding more slowly in September relative to the rest of 2009
  • Slower funding time in recent months may be driven by increase in loan posting levels; i.e. loan supply has increased since early 2009

Also, interestingly, as of this morning not a single loan from the population we spoke of on Monday has expired.

I’ll continue to monitor the funding behavior, since this analysis raises more questions about what’s causing the changes.

Let me know what you think!

Best,
Dan